What most short-termers forget – (Forward this to your team or your missions pastor/youth pastor!)
You’ve begged, borrowed and raised money for flights, food, and supplies in order to tell others the good news. To do something to make the world a bit better. To make at least one person’s life a bit better.. To show God you are open to His calling on your life…
Remember these tips for a successful short-term trip overseas:
- Use Google – Prepare by learning all you can about your host country, culture, people.
- Start some language learning (Hello, Goodbye, My name is…, Can you help me?,…)
- Deal with your expectations – Hardest of all is when you are unprepared spiritually. Soulfully. Truthfully. Be honest with yourself in seeing other’s poverty, as well as your own selfishness, unwillingness to suffer.
- Communicate with others – Remember the 5 w’s: What, when, why, where, who (+ how) both before leaving, when you are overseas, and reporting to friends and family back home.
- Paperwork – Make sure you have all your necessary paperwork in order. Photocopies of passport and proof of international insurance to team leader and a responsible adult back home.
- Don’t forget overseas travel/health insurance! It’s easy to neglect but for around a dollar or two a day it pays HUGE if you need it.
Did you know U.S. based health insurance won’t pay if you are hurt overseas? Yet only one in three short-term missionaries get overseas coverage! Be wise. You’ve spent more than $2,000. On this trip, the $30.00-60.00 to protect against mishaps, missed flights, and serious medical risk is a wise choice. Better yet, get the whole team insured as a group and save even more!
We protect missionary groups and church teams going overseas short or long-term. So whether you are driving to Mexico or loving orphans in Iraq, we can help! We are committed Christians that share your passion for Jesus. We’ve served overseas ourselves and have seen too many times what can happen when good-meaning, God-loving people go out unprepared.
Don’t travel without being covered! By both prayer and overseas travel insurance. Call us today for a free quote or more information!